Islington Mill Art Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is my work relevent for 2007 and why?

4 posters

Go down

Is my work relevent for 2007 and why? Empty Is my work relevent for 2007 and why?

Post  Maria Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:01 pm

Should we be thinking about this at all?

Maria

Back to top Go down

Is my work relevent for 2007 and why? Empty Re: Is my work relevent for 2007 and why?

Post  Maria Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:52 am

On to this. I still think that I should let things happen naturally and follow what I feel like doing because I enjoy it rather than what I think might be relevant to 2007 or 2008.

I have been thinking about all the public art and art for a purpose and it sounds like yes its possible that that is where artists can go to and create art with a purpose but I wonder if I would enjoy creating art for a purpose and whether I would think that was good art.

Its a nice idea though that you create something that has a purpose. Makes life a little more meaningfull I suppose.

Maria

Back to top Go down

Is my work relevent for 2007 and why? Empty Re: Is my work relevent for 2007 and why?

Post  Louie Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:24 am

I feel my work is relevant to me but I can't really think of an answer for whether it's relevant for 2007/8.

I live in 2007/8 and I am at least partly aware of what is going on around me so it would be relevant in that respect.

But I'm struggling to think of a more detailed answer.

Louie

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:32 am

I think it's unavoidable to be aware of the context we work in but perhaps I am missing the point of this question. I’m still trying to think about it.

I have been trying to think of examples of work that someone could do that would not be relevant to now, and all I have come up with is that if you were doing the work for different reasons to why I think most artists make their work.

For example if you were doing pop art paintings that would have sold for a fortune in the 60’s, and you are doing them because you want them to sell for a fortune, your work is unlikely to be relevant now. In the art history sense. But if you are doing them because that is what you love to do, because you are obsessed with replicating the 60’s or whatever reason, then it seems to me that work is still very relevant to now.

I think that all of us make work with a purpose, even if it is personal rather than societal.

Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  Maria Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:16 am

I guess I agree that you can't avoid making work that is relevant for now if it is made now. I suppose I was asking myself if my work was part of a current movement. I don't think it matters whether it is or not but I was answering that question. In that respect I don't think you can be conscious of a movement you're a part of because then your work becomes too constrived and I can't enjoy making work that is contrived.

Maria

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:53 pm

No, I don't think my work is relevant to 2007 (or Cool.

I agree with laura that art can be personal and relevant to an individual, and that is enough to make it worthwhile. I don't attempt to make any statements about the world in 2008 (but any statements i make will be about 2008), as, to quote Louie(!):

'I live in 2007/8 and I am barely aware of what is going on around me' so it would be pointless to attempt to make anything which is relevant, yet everything I create or anyone creates will be relevant in one respect. That is in the respect that it will be significant to at least one individual and that makes it no less important than a piece of artwork which a large number of people may connect with (in my opinion).

And I see a painting by Edward Munch or a poem by Emily Dickinson as equally relevant to me as anything which may be created now. Although, now im thinking about it there is a difference and im not sure whether i really agree with myself there.

Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down